Twitter

Follow me on Twitter @RedfieldReading.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Summer Reading





As the summer began, I finally was able to finish a fabulous mystery that generated many questions, including a question for myself "why don't I read more mysteries??"I just loved the characters in this book and how they were developed through the twists and turns of a great mystery.  As a history lover, I also enjoyed how it took place during the 1950's in the French Quarter of New Orleans. 
Don't miss out on this read!  It's available in our library at DeWitt. 




Speaking of loving history, the second book I finished up is a memoir written by Solomon Northrup, a free African American living in the north, who was stolen into slavery for 12 years!  Can you imagine?!  I loved how Solomon Northup wrote with such details of the events in his life.  This really created a rich, although devastating, picture of what his life was like as a slave in the south.  Because of the time in which it was written, it can be a difficult read.  Luckily, there is a book based on "12 Years a Slave" called "Stolen into Slavery: The True Story of Solomon Northrup, Free Black Man" by Judith Bloom Fradin and Dennis Brindell Fradin.  "Stolen into Slavery" is available in our library.



I discovered "If I Stay" while watching the previews for The Fault in Our Stars, because it will also be a movie soon.  I've never read anything from Gayle Forman before, but I love reading books and then watching them as movies.  This realistic fiction book examines how life is full of choices, some more difficult than others.  I definitely enjoyed it, even though there are many sad moments. 
The DeWitt library does not have a copy, but you can see me if you would like to borrow mine!




Since I loved my first John Green novel, "The Fault in our Stars", I just had to start reading his other novels.  The way John Green develops his characters makes them unique, yet relatable.  I was not quite expecting where the book went, and loved the way it ended. It deals with some heavy themes, especially that of loss, but you still feel uplifted at the end.  Not sure how John Green does that, but you gotta' love it! 
It's available in the DeWitt library!






No comments:

Post a Comment